Shakeela Hassan joined the University of Chicago’s Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care in 1961. She was deeply involved in teaching, research, clinical care, and departmental administration. Dr. Hassan lectured and collaborated on publications and conference presentations nationally and internationally, and built a network of colleagues bridging both the medical and interfaith spheres. On campus, she served on the Emergency Room and Medical School Admissions, committees, and was Clinical Director for the Operating Rooms.
Throughout her career, Dr. Hassan has explored the relationship between medical and social healing and the role of Sound. After her retirement, she served as national fundraising chair on the nationally-broadcast PBS documentary Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet (2002), and co-produced the documentary Ties That Bind (2004). She established Harran Productions Foundation in 2006 to house her multimedia efforts to connect communities of faith in meaningful dialogue. Harran’s Sounds of Faith concert initiative, incepted in 2009 at the University’s Rockefeller Memorial Chapel, has expanded to ten events ranging from Chicago to Miami and New York. The Sounds of Faith Chicago concert was filmed and broadcast on PBS in 2010. Dr. Hassan continues to advise a wide range of faith-based initiatives, and is regularly engaged as a public speaker on intercommunity action and medical-theological concerns.
Shakeela also serves the Islamic Foundation in Villa Park, Illinois; the National Board of the Bernardin Center of the Catholic Theological Union; the Advisory Board of Hands of Peace; the Advisory Board of the Lutheran School of Theology amongst others. Shakeela was recognized in 2007 as a Purpose Prize Fellow, and was a featured presenter at the 2009 CUSP Conference.
Dr. Hassan was recently profiled by the University of Chicago Magazine:
- Harmony and Peace: UChicago anesthesiologist Shakeela Hassan advocates for the healing force of interfaith music and human sound. By Lydialyle Gibson, The University of Chicago Magazine, May/June, 2015
Some of Dr. Hassan's talks can be viewed at the below links:
- Moments of Reflection: The Spiritual Practice of Listening to Patients: Sounds of the Body, Sounds of the Mind, and Sounds of Faith. Michael Zedek, Scott Alexander, Shakeela Hassan, 2012 Conference on Medicine and Religion, May 24, 2012
- Moments of Reflection: Listening to God and Listening to One Another. Michael Zedek, Scott Alexander, Shakeela Hassan, Catholic Theological Union and Harran Foundation, Oct. 3-5, 2012
- The Sonic Dimensions of Spiritual Integration and Healing: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Perspectives. Michael Zedek, Steven Janco, Shakeela Hassan, 2014 Conference on Medicine and Religion, Mar. 8, 2014
- Sound, Rhythm, and Movement. Shakeela Hassan, TEDx UofIChicago, Apr. 18, 2014