Mapping out an Islamic Bioethics: an Intensive Workshop - Aug 1st-3rd 2014
Hosted by the Initiative on Islam & Medicine within the Program on Medicine and Religion and the Maclean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics at the University of Chicago, and co-sponsored by the American Islamic College, the 3-day workshop provides an in-depth introduction to the field of Islamic bioethics and will cover key concepts within Islamic theology, law and ethical frameworks as they relate to bioethics. In addition the participant will gain practical skills and tools that enable them to read Islamic bioethics literature and engage in moral reasoning about clinical ethics cases. Allied health professionals, academic researchers, bioethicists, chaplains, Imams and policy makers all will leave equipped with an enhanced literacy in Islamic bioethics.
Registration & Credit Hours
Course Learning Objectives:
- Conduct a conceptual review of the actors and producers of Islamic bioethics discourse
- Introduce the theological and ethico-legal frameworks of the Islamic moral tradition and how they are brought to bear in constructing the field of Islamic bioethics
- Describe approaches to carrying out Islamic bioethics-related research and the limitations of particular methods and relevant source-materials
Allied healthcare professionals and trainees, chaplains, religious leaders, ethics professionals, scholars and researchers all interested in the intersection of Islam, bioethics and biomedicine
- Course Director: Aasim I. Padela MD MSc- Director, the Initiative on Islam & Medicine; Assistant Professor of Medicine, and Faculty of the MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, The University of Chicago
- Daniel Sulmasy MD PhD- Director, Program on Medicine and Religion, Associate Director, MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, Professor of Medicine and the Divinity School, The University of Chicago
- Faisal Qazi DO- Assistant Professor of Neurology, Western University of the Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine, Adjunct Professor of Islamic Bioethics, Bayan College, Claremont Lincoln University
- Issam Eido PhD- Visiting Instructor of Islamic Studies and Arabic, the University of Chicago Divinity School
- Jawad Qureshi MS- Instructor of Arabic, American Islamic College; PhD Candidate the University of Chicago Divinity School
- Elham Miresghi PhD candidate- Department of Anthropology, University of California, Irvine
- Ahmed Khitamy MD- Secretary, National Committee for Bioethics, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
- Mohammad Amin Kholwadia- Director, Darul Qasim Islamic Institute
- Katherine Klima DNP - Former Ethics Fellow, Maclean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics; Former Doctoral Research Trainee, Initiative on Islam and Medicine
The University of Chicago Law School - Classroom 5
1111 East 60th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637
- Chicago Lake Shore Hotel: $109/night. Please mention the "University Discount" when making your room reservations. Update- All rooms are booked.
- Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center: $178/night- July 31st/August3rd, $229/night- August 1st/August2nd. Please use code "UCHI15" when making your reservation
- The Quadrangle Club at the University of Chicago: $169/night. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to book a room (Limited availability, please email as soon as possible).
- Beadle Residences: $169/night. Please mention University affiliation when making the reservations